All Around the Cross
1. The Rulers
Passed Judgment on Jesus
2. The Soldiers. (27:39-40)
3. The average persons and the passers-by (27:39-40)
They Mocked and abused Christ.
Only Christ was mocked and abused
They Reviled Him & Wagged their heads
What Did They Mock?
1. His claim to have the power to destroy and rebuild the Temple
2. His claim to be the Son of God
4. The religionists and government leaders. 27:41-43
These leaders ridiculed the four major claims of Christ:
He was the Savior
He was the King
He was the Son of Man
He was the Son of God
“For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10)
“And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest” (Matthew 27:11).
The Son of Man
“Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work” (John 4:34).
“If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed” (John 8:36).
The Son of God.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God” (John 3:16-18).
“Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world. Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God” (John 10:36).
5. The criminals 27:44
“Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed” (1 Peter 2:23-24).
Great truths out of examining the event of the Death of Christ.
1. Men still don't love God. “If you love me, keep my commandments.”
2. Men still don't understand the penalty of sin or the way to heaven.
3. There are many who hate and revile Jesus Christ.
4. We must take up our Cross daily for Him.
5. The message of Christ's death and resurrection should be the passion of our lives.