Return of the King
A Compromised Church in a Wicked World
“Compromise has been a cancer in the church from its inception.”—David Levy
“A new Decalogue has been adopted by the neo-Christians of our day, ‘Thou shalt not disagree,’ and a new set of Beatitudes too, ‘Blessed are they that tolerate everything for they shall not be made accountable.’ ”— A. W. Tozer
Jesus Cares about your church. He cares about this church.
He has judgement in his mouth. He speaks words of commendation or condemnation.
Revelation refreshes our perspective of the Resurrected Lord and give us a true portrait of Jesus Christ.
1. The City and the Church (2:12)
- Imperial Cult/Emperor Worship
- Wealthy 3.Temple of Esculapius/caduceus
- Library 200k books
- Pontifex Maximus
2. The Correspondent, Jesus Christ, the Judge (2:12b)
- Power and Authority to Judge
- The Word - Truth, Penetrates, Mankind judged on its basis
3. The Commendation for Faithfulness (2:13)
• Where They Live
• Antipas martyred
4. The Condemnation over Compromise (2:14-15)
Balaam - representing false teaching and teachers
- Sexual Immorality
It doesn’t take long for the practice of compromise to become a pattern of compromise.
Martyrdom tends to purify the church, but mixture, a breakdown in biblical separation into worldliness, putrefies the church.
5. The Command (2:16a)
The Word separates believers from sin While Condemning World for its sin
6. The Challenge - Consequences or Victory (2:16b-17)
Judgment - “fight” = make war